Saturday, January 19, 2013

Les Misérables

Last movie I saw...

Les Misérables (2012)
Directed by: Tom Hooper

Cast:
Hugh Jackman
Russell Crowe
Anne Hathaway
Amanda Seyfried
Eddie Redmayne
Helena Bonham Carter
Sacha Baron Cohen

"To love another person is to see the face of God."-Jean Valjean

The current talk of the town. We had been waiting for this since 2012, and we can't just contain ourselves that we'll finally about to see it. We had an amazing race experienced just to see it in big screen.(very funny!) I first learned about Les Misérables from T.V shows that featured one of our country's pride Lea Salonga. She participated internationally with the musical production of Les Misérables, and I don't really care back then, but in college, I started to look up to her. We we're required to use "On My Own" as an audition piece for TEATRO Lasalliana, and I kept on watching her jaw dropping performance as Eponine. Ever since I've seen her as Eponine, it became my favorite character, and On My Own as one of my favorite songs.

I thought that this is the third film version of the infamous Victor Hugo's novel, but it seems that there are a lot of adaptations according to Stuart Fernie. The most recent release of Les Misérables in motion picture before this production is in 1998. It includes Liam Neeson as Jean Valjean, Geoffrey Rush as Javert, Uma Thurman as Fantine and Claire Danes as Cosette. My friend saw the old version, and she's quite satisfied with it.(I have to watch it!)

There's a lot of talk about the 2012 version for Les Misérables which only fuels to our excitement. The first time we heard about the cast, we were already amazed on how star studded this film would be. I'm excited to see on how they'll play the love triangle of Cosette, Marius and Eponine. I don't really know the flow of the story so I was expecting too much for a wrong reason. I have a colleague who knows a lot about Les Misérables. She told me about her experienced of watching the theater version in London, and explained the flow of the story, and realized that the love triangle I'm anticipating for, all a long is not the focus of the story. It's also because of her that I had the impression that this is a major tearjerker, but apparently not. Yes, some parts can make you really sad, and cry, but just for two scenes, and not for the entire film.(that goes for me)

I was really surprised while watching this movie. I know that its a musical film, but I'm thinking of Moulin Rouge kind of musical. I didn't expect them to sing every line which made it look like a theater production in big screen.(very impressive!) And what's more fascinating is the fact that their lines were not studio recorded, but were instead recorded live on set.(wow!) This is the first time that I've seen an approach, and I can't imagine how long did they film each of the scenes to for a flawless material. They might have spent less time with editing because majority of the scenes were already corrected real time.

I'm really all praise with this version. It has a great set design, great acting especially for Hugh Jackman and Anne Hathaway, but Russel Crowe owns the crown for belting his lines, and consistently being on tune. The writer did great on delivering all of the events in a well written, fast paced manner.(some said they find it boring, and has a very slow pacing, but I disagree) Anne Hathaway's I dreamed a dream made me tear, and I consider as one of the notable scenes of Les Misérables. After watching this movie, we can't still stop talking about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment