Saturday, February 23, 2013

Anna Karenina

Last movie I saw...

Anna Karenina (I) (2012)
Director: Joe Wright

Cast:
Jude Law
Aaron Taylor-Johnson
Keira Knightley

"I am not ashamed of who I am or what I've done. Are you ashamed for me?"-Anna Karenina

I was excited to see Anna Karenina, though I didn't really know what was it about. All I know was its based from a literature, and written by Leo Tolstoy. I actually always see the book at stores, but I never bothered reading the blurb. Well, first I thought its boring as the usual assumption with classic novels, and second, its a thick book, very unattractive.(haha) And that's why I was so interested on watching the movie adaptation, because it will save me from reading the book.

I've seen Keira Knightley act as Elizabeth Bennet of another classic novel, Pride and Prejudice, and honestly, I don't really know what to expect from her, but she looks marvelous from the trailer, and her acting looks a lot better. I was also looking forward on comparing this adaptation with Les Misérables, and Great Gatsby. Those were my top three films that I've anticipated the most for 2013.

And because I wasn't able to read the novel, I can't really critic the script, nor the flow of the story. But I'm all praise with the set design, and the treatment of the adaptation. It's so different with other classic novels that were turned to films. The director, or who ever was in charge of the idea of using a stage play setup, did a very impressive output. I like how they transition each change of scenes using stage props. A very brilliant idea, and first among the films that I've seen. I love the cinematography, especially the love making scene of Keira Knightley and Aaron Taylor-Johnson, but I think some scenes would be best understand if you had read the novel.

But overall, I'm satisfied with the production.

No comments:

Post a Comment