Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Killing Them Softly

Last movie I saw...

Killing Them Softly (2012)
Directed by: Andrew Dominik

Cast:
Brad Pitt
Ray Liotta
Richard Jenkins


"They cry, they plead, they beg, they piss themselves, they cry for their mothers. It gets embarrassing. I like to kill 'em softly. From a distance"- Jackie Cogan

Killing Them Softly? I was thinking it would be literally. Silly me. I remember that I'd read the synopsis of this film, and it says that its about a "kindhearted" assassin having difficulties on killing his targets. Wtf! This is brutality at its best. I'm not actually too sure now, if I really read it, or might be my assumption.

I don't really care who the cast are, I don't care if Jolie's delicious behalf leads the film, because I'm after the story. Well, its a factor that it sounds like one of my favorite songs, Killing me softly that makes it more intriguing. Another factor would be the positive reviews of film critics. It currently has 4 stars(75 percent) of rating with Rotten Tomatoes, a website of film reviews, and 6.4 rating in IMDB, Internet Movie Database. I've also read that it's the first film to feature Kodak 500T 5230 film stock. I don't really get how that works, but all I can say is this film has a picturesque cinematography, which is one of the strengths of the movie aside from the remarkable music scoring.

What I'm deeply impressed about "Killing Them Softly" is the music scoring, and the irony that it brings. I like how the score doesn't really express the reality underlying the appearance on screen, but in a way it does.(weird!) I was left in awe with the unusual combination of fuzzy moving shots, and a mellow moving tune which contributes to a supposed to be action loaded fight scene, but rather gives you more shiver down the spine.

Brilliant exchange of lines towards the end, though the first half of the story was painfully dragging especially the first thirty minutes. But I realized that there's beauty with brief dullness.

No comments:

Post a Comment